All the sweetness in this cake comes from honey and a maple cream topping, balanced beautifully by candied grapefruit orange.
Equipment and preparation: you will need a deep 20cm/8in round tin and a kitchen thermometer for this recipe.
For the cake
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing tins
- 150g/5½oz ground almonds
- 70g/2½oz polenta
- 80g/3oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 140g/5oz honey
- 1 large red grapefruit, finely grated zest only
- 2 large free-range eggs
For the citrus syrup
- 200g/7oz red grapefruit juice
- 200g/7oz blood orange juice
- 160g/5¾oz clear honey
For the candied peel
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 orange
For the maple cream
- 100g/3½oz maple syrup
- 250g/9oz mascarpone
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/Gas 3.
- Line the base of a deep 20cm/8in round tin with baking parchment and grease with butter.
- Combine the almonds, polenta, flour and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and set aside.
- In a free-standing mixer, beat the butter until smooth, then add the honey and grapefruit zest.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and reserved dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- For the citrus syrup, mix the grapefruit and orange juice and honey in a saucepan and heat gently until the honey has melted. Bring to the boil and simmer until temp reaches 105C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- Once the cake is baked, set it aside to cool. Prick the surface of the cake with a skewer and drizzle with half the citrus syrup.
- For the candied peel, boil a kettle full of water. Use a potato peeler to remove slices of the citrus fruit skin.
- Add the peel to a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove the peel and discard the water. Repeat this process twice until the bitterness has been removed from the peel.
- Add the remaining citrus syrup to a saucepan. Add the peel and cook for 5-10 minutes until translucent. Set aside to cool.
- For the maple cream, heat the maple syrup in a small pan and boil until reduced by half. Set aside to cool. Beat the mascarpone until smooth, then add the reduced maple syrup.
- To assemble the cake, cover with the maple cream and arrange the candied peel on top.